From: gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] When Linux desktop will be at least so convenient as MS DOS?
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2018 08:48:39
1 2018-07-13 3:31 GMT+03:00 Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>:
2 > On 13/07/18 02:48, gevisz wrote:
3 >>
4 >> But currently I am ready to try even the "dirty" way to organize
5 >> keyboard layout switch if it will give me a nice cracking sound
6 >> of old good days :) when typing in Cyrillic keyboard layout.
9 > It will not. There is no reason to, since you can see it. In MS-DOS,
10 > you couldn't see it, thus the sound was the only way to communicate
11 > the current keyboard layout to the user.
12
13 To many users, especially if they switch keyboard layout too often
14 and between more than two keyboard layouts, it is extremely
15 inconvenient to every time look for the small keyboard indicator
16 on the screen to find out in which keyboard layout they are.
17
18 Actually, this my question was triggered by a question on some forum
19 where a user asked a similar question, namely, how other people solve
20 the problem of indicating keyboard layout. The only thing I could reply
21 to that question was that in good old days there was a nice MS DOS
22 keyboard driver Keyrus that indicated a Cyrillic keyboard layout with
23 a nice crackling sound... Surprisingly for me, for the topic starter,
24 it was enough: he soon replied that in Windows the same is possible
25 with Punto switcher, he set it and found it a nice way of indicating
26 keyboard layout.
27
28 The following is my translation of a quote from the creator of Punto
29 switcher, in which he gives the reason why he decided to create it:
30 "If we collect the curses of all computer users, when the text is not
31 printed in the correct keyboard layout, then we would get the energy
32 equal to one atomic bomb, and maybe two.”
33
34 The original quote (in Russian) may be found here:
35 https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punto_Switcher
36
37 As for me, for many years, I used to type without looking on the screen
38 at all. It helped to save my eyes from eхcessive monitor radiation but
39 not my nerves when I suddenly noted that last 10 minutes I typed in
40 a wrong keyboard layout.
41
42 Just to solve the said problem, I spent the last 3 years to learn touch
43 typing in three different keyboard layouts, but after all this I can
44 say that it is still inconvenient for me to control a current keyboard
45 layout without a help of nice crackling sound.