From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE and HARD lock ups.
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2011 02:43:02
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 3:00 PM, Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> Mark Knecht wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> If I had to guess I'd say, since this followed a power failure where
7 >>> the machine was live and operating (if I've understood the thread
8 >>> through a quick scan) that some file on disk has gotten corrupted and
9 >>> it's that corruption that's causing the problem. You've checked
10 >>> memory. Let's assume that te processor and MB weren't damaged by this
11 >>> event. If that's the case - and unfortunately I don't know of any way
12 >>> to ensure it hasn't as it requires one to have a bit-accurate image of
13 >>> the machine before the power failure - there's probably no way to
14 >>> eliminate this as a possibility short of an emerge -e @world.
15 >>>
16 >>> It's not where I'd start. I'd probably look for core dump files or
17 >>> very carefully do experiment s trying to isolate exactly what part of
18 >>> KDE is firing off the problem. re-emerging the NVidia driver is a
19 >>> no-brainer as it takes no more than 1-2 minutes to test things.
20 >>> Rebuilding the machine is certainly more involved.
21 >>>
22 >>> If you have lots of disk space you might rsync the whole machine to a
23 >>> new partition to do the work, then using something other than KDE
24 >>> which doesn't crash rebuild the copy from a chroot which leaves the
25 >>> machine usable while the rebuild is going on.
26 >>>
27 >>> None of this sounds like fun...
28 >>>
29 >>> - Mark
30 >>>
31 >>>
32 >>>
33 >>>
34 >> I did something similar at least. I have two drives in here that are for my
35 >> OS. I have a third that is for data, videos, audio stuff and documents.
36 >> The data drive is a 750Gb. The old main OS drive is a 160Gb and the spare
37 >> OS drive is a 250Gb. I downloaded a stage3 tarball. I then set up the
38 >> spare OS drive and mounted the partitions basically following the docs. I
39 >> then copied over /etc, disfiles and the world file. After that, I did a
40 >> emerge -e world which installed everything that I had before. It also has a
41 >> slightly newer kernel as well.
42 >>
43 >> So, after running my memtest this morning while I took a nap, I booted into
44 >> the new install. I checked with the mount command to make sure I was in the
45 >> new install too. I deleted EVERYTHING KDE in my home directory. After
46 >> that, I logged into KDE. A box popped up that composite was disabled. It
47 >> said I could hit shift alt F12 to enable. After I started Firefox, it
48 >> locked up complete with my keyboard lights blinking again.
49 >>
50 >> What does Fluxbox use as opposed to KDE? Both use the Nvidia drivers right?
51 >> I use KDM for my login screen and I think nvidia is loaded when it starts
52 >> and it uses nvidia thereafter. So, if it was the driver, would it not mess
53 >> up in Fluxbox too? What makes Fluxbox work and KDE fail?
54 >>
55 >> Could my video card be having issues? I may take the sides off and unplug
56 >> replug everything and give it all a once over. Maybe just a bad connection
57 >> or something. Maybe?
58 >>
59 >> If one of you guys were me, would you order a video card and try that? Keep
60 >> in mind, I have surge protection inside the UPS on the wall side. I also
61 >> have a surge protector strip that my modem, router, puter and monitor plugs
62 >> into. It's kind of hard to imagine that a surge could make it through all
63 >> that and not at least smell up the place a bit. I'm not saying it couldn't
64 >> but just hard to imagine. I got surge protection coming out the ears here.
65 >>
66 >> Thoughts?
67 >>
68 >> Dale
69 >>
70 > And this is your newer machine machine, correct? The one you built a
71 > few months ago IIRC?
72 >
73 > Sounds like you've takn the right steps to eliminate lots of problem
74 > sites and it just isn't working. What a drag!
75 >
76 > A machine lockup can come from almost anything not working. Bad
77 > software is the easy one, but it could be hardware.
78 >
79 > As for fluxbox vs KDE that's apples and oranges. They probably use
80 > totally different parts of X and do it in very different ways. However
81 > if fluxbox works perfectly for weeks then it wouldn't seem likely to
82 > be a hardware issue unless it's a really unlikely corner case, but you
83 > wouldn't think KDE would hit is every time and fluxbox never hits it.
84 >
85 > Have you tried the most up to date ~amd64 drivers?
90 Let me add some more confusion. I'm in KDE right now. I took the sides
91 off and blew out a VERY little bit of dust and replugged things, video
92 card, mobo power cables and such as that. I also booted to the newly
93 created .kde directory instead of my old one. This is the old install
94 tho. I logged in with nothing running, blank session, and then took a
95 nap. I got up a few minutes ago and KDE is still running. I opened
96 Kpat, card game, and played a little of it. After a few minutes, I
97 opened Seamonkey and am typing as you can see. Same kernel, same
98 nvidia, same packages and same hardware.
99
100 I did notice something a bit ago but have not posted since I noticed
101 it. It seems to crash when I open Konsole as root. I have my menu set
102 up to run it as root and that is where I do my sync and updates. As
103 soon as the window pops up, my mouse pointer freezes. I thought it was
104 a coincidence until now. After I send this reply, I'm going to open
105 Konsole and nothing else. I want to see if it does it again. Since it
106 has been running this long with Konsole closed, it would be odd if it
107 fails when I open that up here shortly.
108
109 I have tried to eliminate things one by one. I tried a different kernel
110 before I ever posted anything but I'm not sure I mentioned it. Doing
111 that is almost like breathing. If I run into issues, I try a old kernel
112 first. I have also tried both nvidia drivers that are in portage with a
113 few different kernels. As mentioned, I also tried a fresh install as
114 well. This makes me question hardware but since everything has to work
115 together, who knows where to start. Could it be the extra ram that
116 Konsole accesses? Could it be a bad instruction that the CPU doesn't
117 like? Could it be the video card trying to redraw the screen? Lots of
118 questions with few answers.
119
120 Well, I'm going to send this then open Konsole. See if it locks up again.
121
122 Dale
123