From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: sata disk assignment mismatch...
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 15:27:26
1 On Sunday 17 January 2010 15:14:06 Jarry wrote:
2 > > If all you are doing is making filesystems available for use, and you
3 > > find you are getting involved with device names, then you are doing
4 > > something contrary to current kernel/udev/userspace practice.
5 >
6 > If your last paragraph ist true, then it is probably time
7 > to rewrite Gentoo Handbook. I just checked it, especially
8 > section 4 "Preparing the Disks" and 8 "Configuring your System"
9 > and did not find a word about udev, and this new concept of
10 > device files (maybe time to file bug concerning Gentoo doc?).
11
12 Filing a bug concerning the docs is probably your best route.
13
14 I'm not familiar enough with the docs to advise on what should be in the docs
15 (I stopped needing to refer to them long ago), and it's also a complex patch
16 that must be made. Off the top of my head, I imagine at least:
17
18 - info on udev - what it is, why it is, how it works. Enough info in the main
19 doc to help the user, with links to more complete data elsewhere.
20 - newer methods of mounting (by LVM names, volume name, filesystem UUID). This
21 will need the mkfs section also updated with coverage of all common
22 filesystems and how to label a new fs
23 - for users who choose to stick with /dev/ names, they will need sample
24 commands to identify which disk is which - gparted, fdisk, blkid and so on
25 - I'm sure even hal will rear it's ugly head in the midst of this...
28 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com