From: "Bo Ørsted Andresen" <bo.andresen@××××.dk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: slightly ot
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 18:18:02
1 On Saturday 20 January 2007 18:46, James wrote:
2 > Daniel Iliev <danny <at> ilievnet.com> writes:
3 > > eix -C -c -n media-video | grep -i dvd
4 >
5 > That's a pretty cool search string.
6 > If I wanted to search the entire tree, why does this not work?
7 >
8 > eix -C -c -n * | grep -i dvd
9 >
10 > eix does not expand wildcards for matches?
11
12 It would be helpful if you would take just one look at `man eix` to see what
13 the arguments do.
14
15 -n isn't necessary since eix will automatically disable colors when it detects
16 a pipe (the | sign). -c just makes the output more compact. -C means you're
17 specifying a category but * isn't a category..
18
19 Furthermore if you type the above command (assuming you're using bash) eix
20 doesn't get an * at all because bash expands it before ever executing the
21 command. Try typing `echo *` to see what bash expands it to.
22
23 But no, even if you escaped or quoted the * properly eix doesn't expand it.
24 But if you don't use --exact it always assumes wildcards. Hence `eix -C -c
25 video` results in the same output as `eix -C -c media-video`. And `eix -c`
26 outputs everything in the tree.
27
28 Instead of the silly grep above I'd just search descriptions with -S though...
31 Bo Andresen