From: David Relson <relson@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Misconfigured system
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 12:25:06
1 On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 21:45:07 -0800
2 Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
3
4 ...[snip]...
5 > Oops. I should have known I could answer my own question with a
6 > little more digging. I now see that there's
7 > hostname
8 > hostname --fqdn
9 > dnsdomainname
10 > and they all work by looking in /etc/host.conf, and if (as is true
11 > here) that says
12 > to use the hosts file first, it looks for it in /etc/hosts, which has
13 > the fqdn. I seem to dimly recall that it actually looks for the first
14 > non-comment, but that
15 > cannot be quite right, because localhost comes first in my copy.
16 > Maybe it's the first
17 > routable IP number?
18 >
19 > I think this sub-problem is solved. I've commented my config files a
20 > bit more, so I
21 > won't make the same mistake again.
22 >
23 > ++ kevin
24
25 Now, I'm curious! On my system, I see the following:
26
27 dnsdomainname osagesoftware.com
28 hostname osage.osagesoftware.com
29 hostname --fqdn osage.osagesoftware.com
30
31 /etc/hosts contains:
32
33 192.168.1.10 osage.osagesoftware.com osage
34
35 "strace -feopen" shows that /etc/hosts is opened by "hostname --fqdn"
36 but not "hostname".
37
38 What have I got wrong?
39
40 Regards,
41
42 David
43
44 P.S. Greetings from one Kiewit alumni to another ...
45 --
46 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list