From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Openoffice being replaced?
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 19:36:47
1 BRM wrote:
2 >> From: Paul Hartman<paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
3 >> To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
4 >> Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2011 10:41 AM
5 >> Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Openoffice being replaced?
6 >>
7 >> On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 9:13 AM, Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
8 >>
9 >>> I noticed this today:
10 >>>
11 >>> The following mask changes are necessary to proceed:
12 >>> #required by @selected, required by @world (argument)
13 >>> # /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask:
14 >>> # Tomáš Chvátal<scarabeus@g.o> (27 Jul 2011)
15 >>> # Old replaced packages. Will be removed in 30 days.
16 >>> # app-office/openoffice -> app-office/libreoffice
17 >>> # app-office/openoffice-bin -> app-office/libreoffice-bin
18 >>> # app-text/wpd2sxw -> app-text/wpd2odt
19 >>>
20 >>>> =app-office/openoffice-3.2.1-r1
21 >>>>
22 >>>
23 >>> Does this mean that libreoffice is going to replace OOo in the tree?
24 >>>
25 >> Looks like it. It has already replaced it on all my computers.
26 >>
27 >> Gentoo's OpenOffice has included the go-oo patches for a long time
28 >> anyway, which were the big thing changed about LibreOffice (those
29 >> patches included in mainline), and using the two I can honestly say
30 >> there's really no difference as far as I can tell, aside from the
31 >> splash screen. Somebody posted about some Sun templates a while
32 >> back... maybe something proprietary like that is changed, but
33 >> OpenTemplate.org is meant to replace those anyway.
34 >>
35 >> I would say switch to LibreOffice and don't look back. :)
39 > I wouldn't. While LibreOffice may have some advances at the moment, I'm still interested in following main-line OOo - now being setting under Apache.
40 >
41 > Please do not force us to convert from OO to LO. I have no problem with separate installs for each, but there will be those (like me) that want the official OO installs.
42 >
43 > That said, I have more confidence in Apache managing OO than I do TDF with LO, having observed TDF's mailing lists for several months (before finally dropping off in favor of Apache OO). I know others will have different opinions; but that (again) is why we should allow those using OO to remain using OO.
46 > Ben
51 If you want it to stay in the tree, you will have to find someone to
52 maintain it or maintain it yourself. Otherwise, it looks like OOo is
53 going to be checking out pretty soon. I would rather stay with OOo
54 myself but I'm not a dev and to be honest, have no interest in being one
55 either.
56
57 Just saying.
58