From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Hard drives not detected in repeatable order.
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2011 19:54:21
1 On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 3:28 PM, Paul Hartman
2 <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 2:03 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> They have the advantage over UUID's in that you can set them and
5 >> therefore can be human readable. Also, if you use a desktop
6 >> environment, they look nice in file managers.
7 >
8 > AFAIK that benefit of labels can also be a danger. If you have
9 > multiple systems and use the same label naming scheme on all of them
10 > (for example you call your partitions "root" "home" "swap" etc.) and
11 > someday you plug the HDD from one system into the other, it could
12 > cause confusion by potentially choosing the wrong one. But someone can
13 > correct me if I'm wrong. :)
14
15 I think we had that conversation one or two weeks ago, in the context
16 of lvm volume names.
19 :wq