From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] tethering an htc incredible
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 23:05:14
1 On Thu, Jun 16 2011, Mick wrote:
2
3 > On Thursday 16 Jun 2011 15:38:30 Allan Gottlieb wrote:
4 >> I have an htc incredible and want to use it to act as a modem for my
5 >> gentoo laptop.
6 >>
7 >> The htc manual says that I first must install htc sync.
8 >> When I go to the htc web site, I find that htc sync is only available
9 >> for ms windows.
10 >
11 > I wouldn't think that this is necessary unless you want to sync contacts,
12 > messages, etc. Opensync may work with that phone - but I do know for sure.
15 >> I believing others on this group have tethered their incredibles and I
16 >> wonder how. I see in google some attempts to use wine or other ms
17 >> windows emulators / virtualizers.
18 >>
19 >> I do not need to sync contacts/mail/calendar since I do that with
20 >> google.
21 >>
22 >> I haven't seen any howtos for tethering directly with gentoo.
23 >
24 > I don't have your phone to provide detailed instructions, but this is how I
25 > have tethered phones in the past to connect to the Internet using IrDA or
26 > Bluetooth.
27
28 thanks for the information. The forum post paul sent me too claims that
29 this is very easy with a usb connection. But to date, I haven't got it
30 working. Others definitely have so there is probably something wrong
31 with configuration (quite possible the kernel).
32
33 thanks again,
34 allan
35
36 ================================================================
37
38 > 1. Establish a connection between your phone and the laptop. I assume you
39 > will use Bluetooth for this, so you will need to edit
40 > /etc/bluetooth/rfcomm.conf as follows:
41 >
42 > #
43 > # RFCOMM configuration file.
44 > #
45 >
46 > rfcomm0 {
47 > # # Automatically bind the device at startup
48 > # bind no;
49 > bind yes;
50 > # # Bluetooth address of the device
51 > # device 11:22:33:44:55:66;
52 > device XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX; <--your phone's b'tooth MAC address
53 > #
54 > # # RFCOMM channel for the connection
55 > # channel 1;
56 > #channel 1;
57 > # # Description of the connection
58 > # comment "Example Bluetooth device";
59 > comment "HTC Incredible"; <--your phone's name
60 > }
61 >
62 > To find the MAC address run hcitool with various parameters like, scan, dev,
63 > inq.
64 >
65 > Then create a ppp connection on your PC and point it to /dev/rfcomm0. First
66 > check though that the device is being created and if not, check the
67 > /etc/conf.d/bluetooth file, this is mine:
68 >
69 > # Bluetooth configuraton file
70 >
71 > # Bind rfcomm devices (allowed values are "true" and "false")
72 > RFCOMM_ENABLE=true
73 >
74 > # Config file for rfcomm
75 > RFCOMM_CONFIG="/etc/bluetooth/rfcomm.conf"
78 > The tricky part with the ppp connection is using the correct string for
79 > running the modem on the phone. On mine I dial up *99# and that activates
80 > GPRS on the phone. You may also need special initialisation commands for the
81 > phone's modem. Some googling on these specifics should get you there.
82 >
83 > Other than that enable bluetooth on both devices, establish a connection using
84 > bluetooth and entering a pin and then run ppp on your laptop. If all goes as
85 > expected you should be online.