From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Virtualbox VMs not running under 3.0.0-gentoo
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 02:07:21
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 5:16 PM, Daniel Wagener<stelf@×××.net> wrote:
3 >
4 >> On Sun, 24 Jul 2011 17:09:13 -0700
5 >> Mark Knecht<markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
8 >>> Hi,
9 >>> I just got around to trying my Virtualbox VMs under the new 3.0.0
10 >>> kernel and they aren't working. It says vboxdrv is not set up. I drop
11 >>> back to 2.6.39 and they run fine. Please note I really mean only the
12 >>> VMs won't start. The Vbox GUI runs fine but then cannot start the VMs.
13 >>>
14 >>> I used make oldconfig to get 3.0.0 working so maybe that caused the
15 >>> problem but I don't yet see what's wrong looking at the config files.
16 >>>
17 >>> Most likely this is some problem caused by the new numbering but I
18 >>> Googled around looking for a solution and didn't find one. Has anyone
19 >>> else here checked Virtualbox under the new kernel?
20 >>>
21 >>> Note that VMWare seems to be running fine under 3.0.0, only
22 >>> Virtualbox is failing.
23 >>>
24 >>> Thanks,
25 >>> Mark
26 >>>
27 >>>
28 >> You know that these Modules have to be compiled against the running
29 >> kernel? A re-emerge should do:
30 >>
31 >> emerge -1av virtualbox-modules
32 >>
33 >> Almost forgot: youd also have to reload these modules via modprobe (or
34 >> rebooting *hides*)
38 > I'm about 500% I did all that but I'll do it again just to be sure.
39 >
40 > I use modules-rebuild -X rebuild to catch all the modules I need to
41 > rebuild as well as a few applications that over the years had problems
42 > with kernel or xorg-server changes. My list of modules& apps now
43 > numbers about 8 and I know virtualbox-modules is part of that list.
44 > None the less when I get back to that machine I'll do it again.
45 >
46 > Thanks,
47 > MArk
51 Just to mention something stupid that I would do, and have done, don't
52 forget to make sure the symlink is pointing to the new kernel. I did
53 that the other day with the nvidia drivers. I scratched my head for
54 minute because I did for once remember to rebuild the drivers before I
55 rebooted. Sort of funny in a way. lol It's usually the other way
56 around. One step forward, one step back.
57
58 Dale
59