From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Heads up: Your system might be broken and/or insecure due to serious patch-2.6 bug
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 20:06:17
1 On Wednesday 02 December 2009 19:59:35 Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon schrieb:
3 > > Most folk now have to rebuild 70 - 300 packages, I'm stuck with
4 > > potentially 1472 <sigh>
5 >
6 > I feel with you ... fortunately the cpus should do it on their own,
7 > accompanied by some fans ;-)
8 >
9 > -
10 >
11 > Any idea how to elegantly split that job into some digestible chunks?
12 >
13 > The various qlop/genlop/awk/grep/sed-scripts posted so far simply give
14 > me the whole list of packages emerged since patch-2.6 and today while
15 > they don't care about what I rebuilt already.
16
17 flameeyes is the fellow making all the fuss about this. On his blog
18
19 http://blog.flameeyes.eu/2009/12/01/gentoo-service-announcement-keep-clear-of-
20 gnu-patch-2-6
21
22 he gives a way to build a decent list that removes packages re-emerged since
23 patch was downgraded again. The trouble with a bug like this is that it gets
24 used everywhere and affects very basic packages which are then used by other
25 packages (that may or may not have been patched meanwhile) potentially
26 affecting their behaviour too.
27
28 The effects are complex and never fully determined. Consider this: rebuilding
29 world on a modern desktop will take around 24 to 36 hours. You could spend
30 more time than that figuring out how to build a full list :-)
31
32 > Seems as if I have to simply manage that to-rebuild-list myself ..
33 >
34 > Greets, Stefan
35 >
36 > ps: *maybe* my X11-crashing-issue is somehow related to this as well.
37 > I first posted that issue on nov,15th ... on the same day patch-2.6 hit
38 > ~amd64 AFAIK ...
39
40 It's certainly possible, the times certainly coincide. And you do have
41 symptoms that no-one else is having (sorta the kind of thing you'd expect from
42 a patch that should have been applied and wasn't).
43
44 It's worth downgrading patch and rebuilding X even if only to see what happens
48 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com