From: "Jan Stępień" <jan@×××××××××××.pl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Xgl and direct rendering or 'Would you like Xorg or Xgl, sir?'
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 16:15:01
1 Albert Hopkins napisał(a):
2 > Then you probably don't want to use GDM or any other DM as they are
3 > primarily designed to "manage" displays that are already selected. What
4 > you want is more of a chicken-and-egg issue for a display manager.
5 >
6 > What you likely need is something to be run from the command line (i.e.
7 > *before* X is started). startx (or xinit) are perfect for this. No
8 > need to write any fancy program, it can pretty much do what you're
9 > asking:
10 >
11 > $ startx /path/to/program/that/needs/X.org -- /usr/bin/X
12 > $ startx -- /usr/bin/Xgl
13
14 Thanks, now it works flawlessly. I can easily launch a slick desktop
15 with Xgl and Beryl, and if I require direct rendering I simply log out
16 and launch Xorg.
17
18 Now I'll try to find a clever solution and make this method a little bit
19 more automatic. We'll see what I'll be able to find around the web.
20
21 Thanks once again.
22
23 Regards,