From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: LibreOffice problem importing file : solved
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2016 06:08:32
1 On Saturday 16 Apr 2016 21:30:15 Philip Webb wrote:
2
3 > So another question arises :
4 > has it always been necessary to add the user to the video group
5 > -- in which case, I must have made a mistake somewhere,
6 > perhaps when I installed in my new box 1510xx -- or is it a recent change ?
7 > If the latter, how are users supposed to know re such matters ?
8 > On the face of it, video should have nothing to do with spreadsheets !
9
10 I seem to recall that advice to add the user to the video group is in the
11 handbook, but haven't checked recently. Most applications these days use
12 hardware acceleration for rich graphics and visual effects (not to mention
13 compute cores). Browsers and LO more than others.
16 Regards,
17 Mick