From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Wow, the GTK3 file browser is awful!
Date: Sun, 28 May 2017 04:36:37
1 On 05/22/2017 12:40 PM, Kent Fredric wrote:
2 > On Mon, 22 May 2017 18:33:47 +0000 (UTC)
3 > Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Having just recently allowed Firefox to upgrade from 45 to 52, I'm now
6 >> hobbled with the GTK3 file browser dialog.
7 >>
8 >> It's horrible.
9 >
10 > Indeed :/. You're not alone, but what can we do about it?
11 >
12 > Its not like we have sufficient staff to maintain a "Firefox but with
13 > GTK2" fork, heck, we can't even keep alsa support.
14 >
15 > I've gone to using other older firefox forks (palemoon) instead simply
16 > because this march of progress doesn't seem to be delivering on that
17 > "progress", only making the user experience more boring and generic,
18 > and thus, more useless.
19 >
20 > "One size fits all, copy everyone else" is not a useful axiom to me.
21 >
22 > But at this rate, every browser trying to be "more like what the masses
23 > want" will end me up having no browser that exists and works that works
24 > how I want.
27 I'm in a similar camp, using Pale Moon as my primary browser. I've found
28 the ads and constant bombardment of Javascript don't make for fun,
29 intuitive, fast, or useful browsing. There's much one can do to combat
30 it, but I think what needs to happen is an anti-Web 3.0 (2.0 was the
31 Semantic Web and the self-publishing boom) browser: a browser that
32 focuses on the "interlinked documents" Web and not the "every page is an
33 application" Web. I think there's sufficient demand for that version of
34 the Web to attract attention. I lack the experience to tackle it myself,
35 or I'd have started the project already.
36
37 It's possible to mold an existing browser to suit that ideal, but it
38 requires consistent vigilance to make sure new features or new defaults
39 don't reverse the work you put into it. It's stressful, I see why people
40 get tired of it.
41
42 (shameless praise follows)
43
44 Another alternative is the gopher protocol, which is slowly gaining a
45 following. It doesn't fill all the same holes the Web does currently,
46 but it could with a high quality client. Current clients are rather
47 lacking, though lynx can be configured to work with gopher and even
48 download images/videos to be opened by a custom program (I like piping
49 images to feh). All lynx is really missing is the 'unofficial' gopher+,
50 which adds a few more data types and allows direct linking to HTTP
51 addresses.
52
53 An additional benefit is Gopher -- being plain-text -- can easily be
54 filtered and "blockers" could block specific things if textual ads
55 become a problem. Many existing tools (like awk or sed) could be
56 leveraged to make that happen. It's also stupid simple to put a "gopher
57 hole" together, since it's just basic I/O. Even servers can be put
58 together in ~100 lines of bash. It's a breath of fresh air compared to
59 working with the Web, imo.
60
61 (usual disclaimer that my views don't represent Gentoo's official views,
62 etc)
63
64 ~zlg
65 --
66 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
67 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
68 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6