From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] installing virtual machine under gentoo
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2022 06:31:07
1 On 1/1/22 11:05 PM, John Covici wrote:
2 > Well, I foujnd out something. If I go to the file menu, I can add the
3 > connection manually and it works,
4
5 That sounds familiar.
6
7 > but I wonder why I have to do that?
8
9 Because the KVM Virtual Manager is designed such that it can administer
10 KVM / libvirt / qemu on multiple systems. It's really client-server
11 infrastructure. You're just needing to point the client at your local
12 server one time.
13
14 > Also, before I do anything, it asks me for the root password and
15 > says system policy prevents local management of virtual machines.
16 > Do you know why this is so?
17
18 This also seems familiar.
19
20 Try re-starting the libvirt / kvm daemons. They may not be aware that
21 your user is now a member of the proper group. -- Aside: This is why
22 a reboot is ... convenient, but not required.
23
24 This /should/ be taken care of proper group administration for your
25 normal user.
26
27 I ran into this a long time ago when I set up KVM on my last Gentoo
28 system. I don't remember exactly what I had to do to resolve it. I do
29 know that it was less than five minutes of searching the web to find the
30 answer, cussing at what needed to be done, and doing it. That system
31 has been running perfectly fine for many years.
36 Grant. . . .
37 unix || die