From: Vaeth <vaeth@××××××××××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] eix shows keyworded packages on home PC, but not on server
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 15:17:20
1 [I know that the headers are wrong; sorry for that]
2
3 > I try the same on a relatively young gentoo server I'm managing and
4 > * dev-python/snakeoil
5 > Available versions: <yellow>~0.3.6.4 ~0.3.6.5 ~0.3.7</yellow>
6 [...]
7 > It's unkeyworded, however
8
9 Did you verify with portage that it is unkeyworded?
10 (There could be many other reasons why it is not).
11 In other words: Does emerge -a =dev-python/snakeoil-0.3.7
12 really not complain?
13
14 As I understand, you already compared the output of eix --dump.
15 I suppose you verified that this output was created in the same
16 environment (i.e. with the same user and the same environment
17 variables) in which you call eix later on?
18 If this is the case, already most causes of different eix
19 configuration are excluded (e.g. LOCAL_PORTAGE_CONFIG should
20 be "true" on both machines; just to make sure, you can also try
21 with eix --print LOCAL_PORTAGE_CONFIG).
22
23 Please also verify with "type -a eix" that you do not use by accident
24 some wrapper (shell function, alias, or script) which could set some
25 eix command line options.
26
27 The only difference I could still imagine is that you have set an
28 environment variable which portage ignores but eix does not.
29 For instance, does
30 eix --print ARCH
31 (and similarly eix --print ACCEPT_KEYWORDS)
32 show the correct architecture (x86 or amd64) which matches with the
33 entry in your package.keywords file? Does removing the ~x86/~amd64
34 in that file change the output?
35
36 Other possible causes:
37 Perhaps some file, most probably package.keywords file cannot be opened
38 for some reason by eix.
39 Therefore the simple question: Do you run eix with root permissions
40 as you probably do with portage?
41 And just to be sure: Does "strace eix -e snakeoil" show you that
42 package.keywords was succesfully opened by eix?
43
44 If nothing gives a hint, I suggest that you open an eix bug.
45
46 Regards
47 Martin Väth