From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] About firefox
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 01:53:19
1 Luigi Pinna schreef:
2 > Alle 15:03, domenica 21 agosto 2005, Holly Bostick ha scritto:
3 > [...]
4 >
5 >>Extensions that *must* be installed by root are, afaik, global
6 >>installations by default. But this may not have been one of them. Did
7 >>you try installing it as a user and get an error saying that the
8 >>extension couldn't be written to /usr/lib/wherever? If you get such
9 >>an error, the extension must be installed by root (and is therefore
10 >>global), because only root can write to /usr/lib/anywhere. If the
11 >>extension installs as a user, then it's local, but it's quite
12 >>possible that if you install it as root it will be global (since
13 >>Firefox almost certainly searches /usr/lib/whatever/plugins for
14 >>global plugins like flash and other media, prior to then searching
15 >>~/.mozilla/firefox/profile/plugins for local plugins).
18 > I tried in the last two days but the insttation is everytime local
19 > (there are no questions as the other exstensions!).
20
21 I think I could be misunderstanding you; what do you mean by 'the
22 installation is every time local'? Do you mean that an extension
23 installed by a particular user (even root) cannot be used by any other
24 user? This is normal behaviour for most extensions, even in older
25 versions of Firefox; in fact, I've just done a small test, and it
26 appears that this is now normal behaviour for all extensions, insofar as
27 I couldn't find an extension that appeared for the user when installed
28 by root. This is actually what I would consider correct behaviour and
29 I'm glad to see it. That no extension asks you if you want a local or
30 global installation of the extension (they don't do that anymore for a
31 long time, at least under Firefox. I don't know what Mozilla does these
32 days)?
33
34 Your issue is that the language pack must be explicitly installed by
35 every user that wants to use it? If that's the case, I'm not quite sure
36 what the problem is... I'm sure that if one was doing a network
37 installation of a large number of systems, that there is a way to
38 specify such things (which I don't know because I'm not administering a
39 large number of systems, but I can't imagine that an organization like
40 the Mozilla Foundation would not have made provisions for sysadmins of
41 large international corporations that might need multiple language
42 support in a given system-wide installation). But for a small network or
43 home system, the fact that each user can for themselves choose if they
44 want the additional languages or not is, afaik, the way it's supposed to
45 be. Once you know where the language pack is, it takes 5 seconds and one
46 restart of Firefox to install it. It's not as if it's a big deal for
47 those who want the functionality, and those who don't don't have to have it.
48
49 Are you just confused by the ways Firefox is different from Mozilla, or
50 is this creating an unmanageable obstacle (i.e. you have to install
51 Language Packs on a school's computer lab network of 500 computers, and
52 doing it one by one is ridiculous)?
55 > Now I found another problem (it is an old problem what I remember was
56 > solved): I can't use the mplayerpug-in (I have the 2.85)!
57 > I use the info from
58 > http://mplayerplug-in.sourceforge.net/install.php
59 > and I copied mplayerplug-in.so mplayerplug-in.xpt in the firefox
60 > directory (/opt/firefox/plugins/)
61
62 /opt/firefox/plugins??? How did you install Firefox? Does the -bin
63 ebuild install to /opt (I compile mine)? Even so, it seems weird that
64 the -bin ebuild would have a completely different filetree from the
65 compiled version... the only way I know (unless the -bin ebuild does
66 install to /opt) to install Firefox to /opt (under Gentoo) is to use the
67 Linux installer on the Mozilla site.
68
69 In which case, all bets are kinda off, because the Firefox Linux
70 installer (and the resulting installed Firefox) does not work quite the
71 same as the one installed by Portage (the one installed by Portage works
72 better, overall, because it's designed to work with Gentoo, as opposed
73 to the Mozilla.org installer which has to maintain its own little world,
74 since it can't know just what distro it's being installed to).
75
76 I begin to suspect that all your problems may be related to not having
77 installed Firefox via Portage, if that is in fact the case.
78
79 but firefox says that a plug-in is
80 > missing...
81 > What's it wrong?
82
83 Firefox isn't looking in /opt/firefox/plugins for its plugins,
84 apparently, or is unable to use what it finds there. Why, I don't know.
85 Where it is in fact looking, I also don't know... but on my system, the
86 mplayer plugin is installed in 2 places:
87
88 /opt/netscape/plugins (which is probably a deprecated holdover from a
89 previous version of something else, something old and not-too-bright)
90
91 /usr/lib/nsbrowser/plugins
92 (this folder is symlinked to /usr/lib/MozillaFirefox/plugins)
93
94 You might try the following two commands to see if there are other
95 directories that Firefox might be searching:
96
97 locate firefox/plugins
98 locate Firefox/plugins
99
100 Alternatively, what are the permissions on the plugin files you copied?
101 It's possible that the user trying to run them doesn't have permissions
102 to read the files-- i.e., root copied them to opt, but the regular user
103 is an "other" (neither root nor a member of the group owning the files),
104 and does not have the necessary permission to read the file when Firefox
105 is opened and attempts to read the plugin files. Additionally, it's
106 possible that the user only has permission to read the plugin, and needs
107 read-write (my plugin is rwx-rwx-rwx, and I'm pretty sure I never
108 touched them; I wasn't even aware of /usr/lib/nsbrowser until I started
109 investigating this just now).
110
111 > Thanks,
112 > Luigi
113 > Ps. I have no more mozilla installed, can it be a/the problem?
114
115 Not likely. I (among many others here, I'm sure), don't have mozilla,
116 and my mplayerplug-in works fine, along with the various others,
117 including those installed by Wine.
118
119 Holly
120 --