From: Matthias Langer <mlangc@×××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] traffic shaping and p2p
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 19:18:20
1 On Wed, 2005-12-14 at 20:02 +0100, Matthias Langer wrote:
2 > I've a small home network, actuall consisting of two gentoo boxes, where
3 > one box acts as router, firewall, svn server and desktop for my sister
4 > (i know this isn't an optimal setup) and the other one is my
5 > workstation.
6 >
7 > Now, when i start a p2p app on my workstation the latency of my internet
8 > connection suffers greatly, allthogh i've
9 > 384 kbit/s up and 3072 kbit/s down. I know that there are some
10 > approaches to solve this kind of problem by categorizing packets and
11 > assign different priorities to them, as explained at
12 > http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Packet_Shaping. However, my knowledge of
13 > iptables and networking is very limited and i just want a simple and
14 > clean solution as i don't plan to trick myself by switching my p2p apps
15 > to non standard ports or manipulating the packet size ...
16 >
17 > To cut a long story short: I want high latency for ssh, browsing,
18 (what i mean is in fact low latency :-)
19 > subversion while offering p2p services a maximum of bandwidth in a small
20 > homenetwork containing only 2 boxes.
21 >
22 > Any suggestions ?
23 >
24 > Thanks,