From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT]batch processing html files
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 16:02:56
1 On Wednesday 30 April 2008, Matthew R. Lee wrote:
2 > I have a folder full of .html files and I need to go through and
3 > replace in each and every one of them a couple of bits of info. I
4 > know I can do this using the following from the command line:
5 > sed 's/VV, ppp-ppp/81, 51-67/' file.html > newfile.html | mv
6 > newfile.html file.html
7 > Problem is I need to do this on nearly 200 files. I assume it could
8 > be done with a script, but I have zero experience in writing scripts.
9 > I've looked through a few how-to's but haven't found anything I
10 > understand sofar. I want to learn how to script, but my Prof want's
11 > this done yesterday as the associated paper has just been published.
12 > Cheers
13 > Matt
14
15 bash to the rescue! try "for":
16
17 for n in *html ; do sed 's/VV, ppp-ppp/81, 51-67/' $n > newfile.html ;
18 mv > newfile.html $n ; done
19
20 That assumes that every html file in the current dir that contains VV
21 must have it changed. Adapt as needed :-)
22
23 Somehow somewhere you can accomplish what you want in one line with a
24 suitable combination of locate, find, grep, for, xargs, sed and awk
27 Alan McKinnon
28 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
31 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list