From: Ian Zimmerman <itz@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: OT: looking for email provider
Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2020 18:37:04
1 On 2020-02-01 17:08, Jack wrote:
2
3 > I'm trying to move away from gmail. Especially for mailing lists like
4 > this one, if I send a message to the list, I never see that I get the
5 > message from the list, because gmail refuses to show it in my inbox
6 > because it's a duplicate of a message already in my sentbox.
7 >
8 > I do have an email account with privateemail.com (thorough
9 > namecheap.com) but they are unable or unwilling to have a similar
10 > setup. I'm not even sure they actually understand what I'm asking of
11 > them, but I've wasted more than enough time trying.
12 >
13 > So - I'm asking if anyone can recommend an email service provider that
14 > understands this and will let me set it up.
15
16 For your immediate problem, my answer would depend on whether you're OK
17 interacting with email entirely through the browser, or you are a
18 classicist like myself and want to use a "real" email client like mutt
19 or thunderbird.
20
21 From your writing about gmail, I am guessing it's the former: you're
22 okay with webmail. In that case, I recommend that you look at
23 protonmail, tutanota and hushmail. I have used all of them and I still
24 use protonmail for one of my personas :) I hasten to add I have _not_
25 checked how easy it is to mask the sender address at any of these.
26
27 The longer view though is that this will get harder and harder, for the
28 reasons other people in the thread have given. google and company will
29 impose their fascist anti-spam checks and they will get away with it
30 because most everyone uses google and company, and nobody but a few
31 geeks cares about the corner case of mailing lists.
32
33 <sarcasm> Who needs mailing lists when we have web forums? </sarcasm>
34 This is what writers like Jon Corbet of LWN mean by "the death of
35 email". And this is why, if you are one of the geeks who do care, the
36 only way to prolong your life with email is to set up your own server.
37 You're already halfway there as you have your own domain.
40 Ian