From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mysqld invoked oom-killer
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2011 10:42:54
1 Grant wrote:
2 > ...
3 >
4 >> If my main rig starts using swap a lot, I'm going to be very curious. I
5 >> even used 8Gbs to put portages work directory on tmpfs. I still didn't use
6 >> any swap. By the way, that doesn't seem to make the compiles any faster.
7 >> o_O
8 >>
9 > CPU bottleneck?
10 >
11 > - Grant
16 I sort of doubt it. I have a AMD 4 core 3.2Ghz CPU. A 6 core is about
17 all that beats it. I think they have a 3.3. and a 3.4 now but that's
18 marginal really.
19
20 It has always been said that reading and writing to the portage work
21 directory would slow down compiles a bit. Well, I tested the theory and
22 it seemed to have taken a few seconds longer with portage's work
23 directory on tmpfs instead of a hard drive. I see the reason it should
24 be faster and I think it should be faster but when I tried it, theory
25 ran up against reality. We all know what happens when theory meets
26 reality. Theory is small and weak but reality is large, strong and a
27 great teacher to boot. Reality always wins even when it don't make
28 sense. :/
29
30 Don't worry, I was as surprised as anyone. I found on the forum where
31 someone else came to the same conclusions. I guess it caches stuff or
32 just that drives are faster and smarter nowadays.
33
34 It was neat to try it tho. ;-) This is the most ram I have ever had.
35 May be more than inside my head. lol
36
37 Dale
38