From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kmail2 - I have not given up ... yet
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 2016 10:26:27
1 On Thursday 31 Dec 2015 16:28:36 J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On Thursday, December 31, 2015 01:50:43 PM Mick wrote:
3 > > On Thursday 31 Dec 2015 11:14:48 J. Roeleveld wrote:
4
5 > > So, I'm reading the fine manual again, but I find myself asking questions
6 > > like ... how do I do this MySQL command on postgres; e.g. on MySQL I set
7 > > up a mysql root user passwd before I do anything else. Isn't this the
8 > > case with postgres?
9 >
10 > Not really.
11 > The following is based on the default when using Postgresql on Gentoo.
12 >
13 > When following the post-inst steps emerge tells you, the database is
14 > initialised to run as "postgres".
15 > It also auto-creates a "postgres" user in the database. This user has full
16 > privileges.
17
18 Yes, I did just so: 'emerge --config dev-db/postgresql:9.4'
21 > I only use that user to create additional users and databases. No other
22 > user, on my installations, has permissions to add users/databases.
23 > Usually I do give them full permissions within the databases.
24
25 I used the postgres user to create ROLE michael, and made michael OWNER of the
26 akonadidb and GRANTed him ALL PRIVILEGES on akonadidb. However .... I did not
27 give michael's ROLE any LOGIN. Apparently, had I created USER instead of
28 ROLE, it would automatically have LOGIN rights. As it was I had to run:
29
30 ALTER ROLE michael WITH LOGIN SUPERUSER PASSWORD 'somepasswd';
31
32 I am not sure if SUPERUSER is an overkill or a security weakness. Perhaps I
33 should reduce it to ADMIN?
34
35 In any case, now akonadi can login with michael without any problems. :-)
38 > > PS. Would any postgresql gurus know why I can't login with some arbitrary
39 > > name/passwd in the postgres database?
40 >
41 > Yes :)
42 >
43 > But this is a bit OT for this thread, so keeping it brief:
44 >
45 > 1) The createuser and createdb commands I posted are to be run as the
46 > "postgres" user.
47 > 2) The user you create needs to be allowed to connect
48 > (/etc/postgresql-???/pg_hba.conf )
49
50 I have left the default method "trust" in the pg_hba.conf and thought that
51 this didn't even need a passwd, but as I explained above I had to explicitly
52 set LOGIN rights for ROLE michael. It seems that I have some reading to do to
53 freshen up on postgres including how to back up properly.
54
55 Thanks again Joost, my kmail2 still seems to be functioning properly and
56 without any major problems so far. :-)
59 Regards,
60 Mick