From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo Council vs Umbrella Corp ?
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2020 22:47:35
1 On 8/29/20 4:49 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sat, Aug 29, 2020 at 3:47 PM William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> As a member of the council, I'll be the first to say I don't know
5 >> anything about trustee functions. For me, the question is, do we want to
6 >> control our own destiny as an organization or do we want to have another
7 >> organization control it in some way? To be honest, I do not have that
8 >> answer because I don't know how much control an umbrella organization
9 >> would try to exert, and since they would control our purse strings, I
10 >> don't know what the scope of control they would be able to exert is.
11
12 An overlord is always a BAD idea. ymmv. WE, gentoo at large would have
13 little to say, if they change their fees, requirements and foundational
14 goals. No Thanks.
15
16 > I certainly share the concern, though I also have concerns about our
17 > own sustainability, and I'll note that some of that issue about purse
18 > strings also applies with a separate Foundation, simply because the
19 > distro are the Foundation are still separate entities, though
20 > obviously we have a bit more control over the latter.
21
22 Put all of the finances in GNUcash, and make read access available ?
23 The best way, in my experience, is to put the data into the system,
24 concurrently with the expenditure and transactions, and make viewing
25 access available, widely. That sort of behaving gets you on the IRS
26 pristine list. Filing transactions much later than occurrence, or
27 manually, is a red flag. Keeping the eyes of the members on the finances
28 .................... Priceless.
31 > A lot of this stuff has been discussed on the -nfp and -project lists
32 > extensively, so I won't rehash it all.
35 Perhaps a read only mechanism could publish all of that financial data?
36 Perhaps timely data entry, should be a requirement?
39 > * We tend to insist on using FOSS ledger formats which a lot of CPAs
40 > probably don't want to deal with.
41
42 GNU cash is robust and puts out data and reports in wide variety of
43 forms acceptable by most CPA firms. I'd like to know the details what
44 your mean by FOSS Ledger formats?
47 > * With the huge compliance issues up until now the main emphasis was
48 > getting it done right over getting it done inexpensively.
49
50 Very wise decision.
51
52 > The issues
53 > up until now are basically an existential threat, and we're sitting on
54 > a lot of cash, so trying to save $1k and potentially losing access to
55 > tens of thousands of dollars in the process due to legal issues isn't
56 > wise.
57
58 agreed
61 > * After the initial filings were caught up there was some discussion
62 > around changing accountants to save money. The thinking is that we
63 > wanted to get a bit more traction/experience with getting things done
64 > right before we start making changes. The reality is that we have a
65 > lot of money right now and while I agree with mgorny's concern that we
66 > can't just assume we'll continue to have it, for the short term I
67 > think the emphasis should be on figuring out the future state before
68 > getting tied up with making the current state more efficient. If the
69 > long-term ends up being to keep the Foundation around then of course
70 > making it more robust/efficient makes sense.
71
72 Can/will you summarize the collective reason to get rid of the
73 Foundation or any other component of Gentoo management? If they are not
74 being paid, why the rush to terminate?
75
76 Are there resources for access to those discussions, meeting minutes
77 notes and such? Audio recording of meetings or some sort of summary?
80 > Finally, I'll share a personal opinion that I've already elaborated on
81 > elsewhere. I think the best thing we could do to secure our future is
82 > to reduce our reliance on having money at all. Plenty of projects get
83 > by with nothing more than a github/gitlab/whatever cloud-based repo.
84 > Certainly having our infra gives us more options, but it also makes us
85 > more dependent on money, and with money comes all the red tape.
86
87 True, but having a multi-faceted organization exists, because many other
88 organizations, with out multiplicity, have gotten into trouble, were
89 abused internally, and simply fail due to poor over-site. For me,
90 funding is the only issue to reduce these over-site functional
91 components. What you are suggesting has occurred many times with gentoo,
92 in replicated efforts. Most have failed, but some, line Funtoo, are
93 thriving. If there is funding, why take the risk at this time?
96 > Aiming for a more cloud-based infra that anybody can clone/fork/etc
97 > means that even if github shuts us down somebody just has to create a
98 > new repo someplace else and do a push.
99
100 I'm no fan of 'the cloud'. If you believe what many are saying, the
101 cloud has stopped growing. Not the time, but I'm totally against the
102 cloud. I am helping dozens of companies get off of cloud dependence, for
103 a wide variety of reasons. ymmv.
104
105 >Commoditizing the infra and
106 > investing our efforts into the actual distro seems like the better
107 > strategy to be secure. And if we want to host that stuff ourselves
108 > that is ok too, but the key is that if somebody takes down our bug
109 > tracker we have a dozen devs who are already keeping their own forks
110 > of it based on publicly-accessible backups and one just has to make it
111 > public to pick up without interruption.
112
113 Redundancy, is a key component of most all of computer science. Trust,
114 but verify, is another fundamental tenant. If your want formal
115 references, its under the blanket term of 'Fault Tolerance'. I write
116 this for the benefit of all readers.
119 > Basically we need to think smaller, not bigger. Stuff that involves
120 > money should be a nice-to-have, not a must-have.
121
122 More Details and let the voting eligible decide? It is quite trivial to
123 setup finances with core needs and the all of this other functions.
124 Restricting interactions and dev status, without rights to over-site, is
125 a very bad idea. Many techs have made lots of money, and are poor and
126 living paycheck to paycheck. You really think it's a good idea to have
127 them manage Gentoo? I'd minimally add an outstanding credit score, say
128 900, to be eligible to make financial decisions on Gentoo's future.
131 > It isn't unlike achieving financial independence/security. The most
132 > efficient thing any individual can do to increase their personal
133 > financial security is to reduce their recurring spending - you don't
134 > need a strategy to generate income that is purely discretionary.
135 , is allow with votes of the members.
136
137 Really? I totally disagree. The best thing is to make money. Then get
138 your domicile paid off 100%. In Gentoo case, the domicile is several 19"
139 racks full of servers and power conditioning, switches, etc etc. The
140 cloud has some severe security issues.
141
142 Never borrow money against the domicile. Continue to make money. Spend
143 wisely. There is a time to be financially conservative, and a time to
144 invest. Having someone, with piss-poor personal finances making any sort
145 of financial decision with Gentoo funding semantics, is a recipe for
146 fraud. Double dipping?
147
148 Credit scores are the mark of excellence, that's why they are
149 universally used by the astute. I'm not sure how Gentoo is anything
150 other than a 501-c charity? What form of organization/filing does Gentoo
151 ascribe to?
152
153 Tech ventures are no exception and in fact may be more in need of
154 individuals with extreme financial integrity.
155
156 Conclusively, make few changes atm with Gentoo. Let's flush out many of
157 the details, or make the postings of these aforementioned groups
158 published, so they can be read by all. Seriously, I'd think this is, is
159 the premier place to discuss such matters. ymmv.
160
161 Finally, Rich, your commitment to Gentoo, is well documented and greatly
162 appreciated. Many on this list are quite astute with business matters.
163 If fact Gentoo is a collective, of very accomplished computer types, the
164 associated finances is something many have experience with, here at
165 Gentoo. WE can help, and reinforce wise, open decisions. A realtime
166 mechanism for thousands of eyes to follow expenditures, is way past due,
167 imho.
170 hth,
171 James