From: reader@×××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] [OT overheat] How to cause shutdown on overheat
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 12:22:21
1 Group, I recently built a ventilated stucture around my 4 desktops to
2 try to quiet things down and get rid of the heat.
3
4 I made no provision for forced shutdown in case of overheat, which is
5 quite likely to happen if, for example the main ventilation fan went
6 down for some reason.
7
8 Well, that happened due to stupidity on my part with getting used to
9 the new setup. I fired up a computer and neglected to turn the fan
10 on. Then left it running overnight.
11
12 Well, given the confined space and very little/no ventilation (of my
13 homemade structure) the computer got hot...
14
15 Sometime this morning I see syslog messages written to tty that say:
16
17 Message from syslogd@reader at Sat Sep 30 04:41:32 2006 ...
18 reader kernel: CPU0: Temperature above threshold
19
20 Message from syslogd@reader at Sat Sep 30 04:41:32 2006 ...
21 reader kernel: CPU0: Running in modulated clock mode
22
23 [...]
24
25 Some kind of attempt by kernel to cool things down. But will it
26 actually shutdown if it gets dangerously hot?
27
28 Further, how can I discover what temperatures were involved when this
29 happened?
30
31 Or can I set something to make a shutdown happen at a specific
32 temperature?
33
34 A nicer solution would be somekind of added stand alone temperature
35 monitor in the enclosure that causes a controlled shutdown like one
36 gets with `shutdown -h now'.
37
38 Anyone here with some experience in this kind of thing that can steer me
39 to some good information?
43 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list