From: Lee <ny6p01@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] --sync
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2022 00:22:11
1 Given the speed improvement in using git for --sync, I wonder why that
2 isn't the default in the portage section of the manual....
3
4 On Sun, Jul 31, 2022 at 4:49 PM Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
5 wrote:
6
7 > On Sunday, 31 July 2022 21:43:12 BST Neil Bothwick wrote:
8 >
9 > > I switched to using git for syncing, from github, and haven't looked
10 > > back. It is *much* faster, several times faster syncing from github than
11 > > using rsync to sync from a local mirror, and github is always there.
12 >
13 > One thing to note, if you do change to git syncing, is that you'll have to
14 > delete your entire portage tree: 'rm -r /var/db/repos/portage'. That may
15 > seem
16 > like a bad idea if you're having sync problems, but it isn't really. After
17 > that, the sync will take just seconds, as Neil said.
18 >
19 > You'll never look back.
20 >
21 > --