From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Phonon + PulseAudio Problem
Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 18:19:28
1 On Samstag 22 Mai 2010, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 05/22/2010 07:59 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
3 > > On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 1:21 AM, Nikos Chantziaras<realnc@×××××.de>
4 wrote:
5 > >> Latency is the delay between giving the order to play a sound and the
6 > >> sound actually being played. It's usually around 30ms here with
7 > >> ALSA/dmix, and around 10ms with OSS/vmix. It's not funny trying to
8 > >> play something in a software synth with a keyboard when having a 30ms
9 > >> latency.
10 > >
11 > > As I said, you're doing it wrong. No "normal" (average desktop, media
12 > > center, laptop, linux-phone) user needs 10ms of latency in audio.
13 > > That's overkill. Yours is a special case, and you need special
14 > > software. Try Jack.
15 >
16 > I don't do professional audio. I have a normal PC. And just like I
17 > sometimes use a synth in Windows (I'm just a hobbyist), I'd like to do
18 > the same in Linux.
19 >
20 > Windows: I don't need Jack there. Audio latency is low even with
21 > non-ASIO drivers.
22 >
23 > Linux: I suddenly need "Jack" and specialty hacks and must do without a
24 > mixer! No thanks. OSSv4 allows me to use my machine in the same manner
25 > as Windows: It just works and does the right thing regardless of the
26 > application I'm running.
27 >
28 > ALSA/Pulse needing third-party stuff just to get basics right
29 > (acceptable latency; not *ultra* low latency, just acceptable one) is a
30 > sign that they're not designed right.
31 >
32 > And OSS4 dying because of kernel-mixing is a bit far-stretched. "No FP
33 > mixing in kernel" is Linux-specific. Other kernels don't have a problem
34 > with that.
35 >
36 > And in the end, you know what? Even if OSS4 had a broken design, it's
37 > still better, because it works better. At least it gets the basics
38 > right. Other operating systems are much more advanced in that manner.
39 > It's ALSA that holds Linux audio back.
40
41 in case that it works at all. OSSv4 fucked up very hard here.
42
43 And for some magical reasons, I have no problem at all with latencies.
44
45 But sometimes you complain about latencies, and when people showing up, that
46 lats are not a problem, you switch over to 'volume' and 'mixing'. Just to
47 ignore the facts presented there.
48
49 Go troll somewhere else. Maybe the OSS fanboy mailing list.