From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Compatibility with Kernel 2.6.9
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 18:41:40
1 Alan McKinnon schrieb:
2 > On Thursday 26 March 2009 19:47:05 Florian Philipp wrote:
3 >> Hi list!
4 >>
5 >> A quick question:
6 >>
7 >> If i install Gentoo on a system with a kernel version 2.6.9 (don't ask
8 >> ...),
9 >
10 > Wow. That kernel is what 4? 5? years old
11
12 Yep, I was surprised myself. It is a virtual machine (formerly SuSE).
13 Therefore I have no influence on the kernel. I'm wondering whether I'm
14 even safe when running such an antique system.
15 >
16 >> are there issues I should be aware of?
17 >
18 > Plenty.
19 >
20 > First off, udev is unlikely to work for a start, so you will either need to
21 > remember how we did it way bask in '05, or use a static /dev
22
23 Hmm, maybe this is no issue in a v-server. God knows what happens in the
24 background. (Okay, okay, SOURCE knows what happens, too, but I'm
25 unwilling to read it ;) )
26 >
27 > I'm sure there are many more, I just can;t think of the details about the
28 > other points you raised.
31 Well, I'll just try. In the worst case I'll ask whether I can pay for a
32 kernel update or a transfer to another host system.