From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Have I to install wifi now?
Date: Sat, 30 May 2020 23:19:31
1 On Saturday, 30 May 2020 23:34:30 BST Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Saturday, 30 May 2020 23:16:56 BST Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 > > On Sat, 30 May 2020 22:46:18 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote:
4 > > > > The point of meta packages is that they install a whole set of stuff,
5 > > > > in this case "Merge this to pull in all Plasma 5 packages". If you
6 > > > > don't want the kitchen sink, don't use meta packages. I have a kde
7 > > > > set in /etc/ portage/sets that includes just what I want. As a result
8 > > > > I have a decent KDE desktop but without needing networkmanager, or
9 > > > > any of the PIM stuff.
10 > > >
11 > > > I tried doing that some time ago. I got so heavily bogged down in a
12 > > > dependency mire that I gave up. You wouldn't like to show your set,
13 > > > would you? Please? :)
14 > >
15 > > Here you go. I make no claims as to its suitability, or even uptodatedness
16 >
17 > ---8>
18 >
19 > Many thanks. After writing that I had another go using a different approach,
20 > and it just fell into place. Combining your set and mine ought to give me a
21 > working system.
22 >
23 > With such a complex, reticulated (I think that's the word) system as plasma,
24 > it's easier to subtract from a whole set than to build up from nothing.
25
26 In a previous installation I used a similar approach, which soon became
27 somewhat tiresome. One package was retired, some other took its place and
28 more than once I would end up tying up myself in knots, trying to change the
29 list of individual packages and associated USE flags to allow portage to
30 update my desktop without dragging in all sort of unpleasants.
31
32 In a more recent installation I followed a different route. I installed
33 selected meta-packages from the list at the bottom of this page:
34
35 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/KDE
36
37 but first I disabled some USE flags to avoid networkmanager:
38
39 kde-plasma/plasma-meta -networkmanager
40 kde-plasma/powerdevil -wireless
41
42 This is the plasma-meta flags I use now:
43
44 [I] kde-plasma/plasma-meta
45 Available versions:
46 (5)
47 5.18.5 [bluetooth +browser-integration crypt +desktop-portal
48 discover +display-manager elogind grub gtk +handbook +kwallet +legacy-systray
49 +networkmanager plymouth pulseaudio qrcode +sddm sdk systemd thunderbolt
50 +wallpapers] ["?? ( elogind systemd )"]
51 Installed versions: 5.18.5(5)(19:51:01 21/05/20)(bluetooth browser-
52 integration crypt desktop-portal display-manager elogind handbook kwallet
53 legacy-systray sddm wallpapers -discover -grub -gtk -networkmanager -plymouth
54 -pulseaudio -qrcode -sdk -systemd -thunderbolt)
55
56 Admittedly, like you I have also installed LVM which I don't want/need on its
57 own. It is pulled in by sys-fs/cryptsetup, needed by pmount, which I use and
58 may want to use with encrypted filesystems in the future. I'm not sure if
59 ext4 fs encryption is mature enough presently and what it requires. A project
60 for a rainy day.