From: Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Mnemonics for everyday stuff
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 11:40:31
1 On Wednesday 24 December 2008, 11:39, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > > >> DSA / RSA
4 > > >> tun / tap
5 > > >
6 > > > tun - to uniplexed node?
7 > > > tap - to any person?
8 > > > it makes some vague sense
9 > >
10 > > I think what Alan refers to is:
11 > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TUN/TAP
12 > >
13 > > I'm not sure if this is what he seeks:
14 > >
15 > > RSA - Encryption algorithm
16 > > DSA - Directory System Agent, LDAP protocol
17 > >
18 > > I guess both could have something to do with TUN/TAP...
19 >
20 > As I used them they are not related. DSA and RSA are key hash
21 > algorithms, I can never tell them apart and have to haul out the man
22 > page to rediscover which one I tell my users to use :-)
23 > tun & tap - same thing. One is routed, one is more like level 2. Do
24 > you think I can ever remember which is which when I need to?
25
26 Sometimes in these cases I just go by exclusion. Just remember one of the
27 two, and the other one automatically becomes "the other".
28 For tun/tap I can actually tell which is which because I use them
29 frequently, but for example you could just remember that tun stands for
30 tunnel (I suppose) so it's for point-to-point connections and hence
31 carries IP (while tap carries ethernet frames and can broadcast, but you
32 don't need to remember this; it's easily deduced by contrast against the
33 former). There can be of course dozens of other ways. Another one is
34 using the words you want to remember to somehow form other words
35 (perhaps funny or in any case easier to remember), which could have a
36 connection with their original meaning. Again, silly example: for tap,
37 you could remember wiretap, where the "wire" part should make you
38 think "ethernet", which is where tap operates (I think this would work
39 in my case; it might not for you, but of course each one of us has his
40 own mental paths and associations). For RSA, you could
41 remember "univeRSAl", which might mean that it is the algorithm you
42 always tell people to use. Etc. etc.
43
44 Hope the above suggestions make sense to you. Of course, besides the
45 silly examples, the important point is that the best way is to build
46 associations with things that *you* can easily remember.