From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE-4.4 strikes again
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 10:42:21
1 On Wednesday 10 February 2010 12:32:11 Helmut Jarausch wrote:
2 > On 10 Feb, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > On Wednesday 10 February 2010 10:36:35 Helmut Jarausch wrote:
4 > >> Hi,
5 > >>
6 > >> has anybody a recipe on this upgrade hell each time KDE release a new
7 > >> version?
8 > >> This time existing KDE-4.3.5 packages block KDE-4.4 packages though they
9 > >> go to different slots.
10 > >> Even portage-2.2_rc62 is unable to cope with that.
11 > >
12 > > Remove ALL version-specific information for kde entries from world.
13 >
14 > There are no specific version of kde in world
15 >
16 > > Don't mix and match -meta packages and sets.
17 >
18 > What do you mean by that? I don't think I have any kde-sets here
19 >
20 > # emerge --list-sets
21 > downgrade
22 > installed
23 > live-rebuild
24 > module-rebuild
25 > preserved-rebuild
26 > security
27 > selected
28 > system
29 > unavailable
30 > world
31 >
32 > > Beware of kde-misc entries - often times they have depends on the old
33 > > SLOT and pull in conflicts. These ebuilds are not as maintained as the
34 > > kdebase ones, same with the apps themselves.
35
36 In general terms, portage knows you have package A that must stay at v4.3.5
37 and you want to upgrade it (or more likely something that depends on it) to
38 v4.4. It's telling you "I can't/won't do that".
39
40 Please post the portage output for the blockers that portage won't resolve
41 (not everything, that will be about 5000 lines) plus the command you are
42 running if it's not "emerge -avuND world".
43
44 Also, are you aware that as of yesterday, KDE-4.4 was still hard masked in
45 $PORTDIR/profiles/package.mask? It may have been removed meanwhile since my
46 last sync. And what do you have related to kde in your own
47 /etc/portage/package* ?
51 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com