From: Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Pick your hypothesis:
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2019 20:33:30
1 On 2019.01.24 15:17, Michael Jones wrote:
2 [snip....]
3 > A lot of people run emerge without checking the preliminary console
4 > output.
5 But most (I hope) of them understand the possible problems, and are
6 willing to "pick up the pieces" if something goes wrong. Most of them
7 do not blame the Gentoo developers in such a case.
8
9 > I don't think it's fair to imply that doing that is somehow wrong.
10 Some/many of us might disagree. If you don't check the output to see
11 exactly what emerge is going to do, it may well not do what you
12 want/expect. Is it "wrong" to drive your car with a blindfold on?
13
14 > The vast majority of Linux distributions support unattended upgrades
15 > without a second thought.
16 The vast majority of Linux distributions are binary distributions,
17 where a package either works or not, and if it doesn't, it is very
18 likely a packaging error. The vast majority of Linux distributions do
19 not install from source, with lots of ways of configuring things to the
20 user's liking, many of which possible configurations will not work. I
21 would say that binary distributions are much more deterministic in
22 their behavior. You really can't run Gentoo safely for very long
23 without paying close attention to what you are doing - with both
24 installs and upgrades.
25
26 Jack