From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] firefox cpu usage
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2015 13:07:51
1 Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > Running Gentoo (32 bit) as guest on a solaris machine.
3 >
4 > My install initially had `aurora' as browser. I removed it and
5 > installed firefox.bin, thinking the cpu usage would drop.
6 >
7 > It has dropped but only minimally.
8 >
9 > The host machine (Openindian) has 32 GB RAM.
10 >
11 > My vbox setup allows 3016 MB for guest (gentoo) ram.
12 >
13 > With firefox open but not actively browsing, ... I see from %44
14 > .. to %63 cpu in a `top' display for cpu usage. When actually using
15 > the app, it goes to %80 plus. Even 100%
16 >
17 > Is this normal cpu usage for firefox? If so, are there any tips for
18 > cutting down on the cpu usage of firefox?
19 >
20 > Perhaps a different browser? But it has to work on banking sites.
26 The only thing I can think of, outside what Mick mentioned, is that you
27 have a plugin/extension or something that is creating some work. A
28 version or two ago, FF made some sort of change and I noticed that some
29 plugins had to be disabled or removed completely because FF would either
30 not start at all or would be very slow to react. Switching tabs is when
31 I really noticed it being slow. I could click and wait several seconds
32 for it to switch tabs or groups. Some websites would also load very
33 slow. My current rig, AMD 4 core running 3.2GHz with 16GBs of ram.
34 After a recent update, things are pretty much back to normal except that
35 FF has some things I used to addon built in now.
36
37 The version I had issues with was the 42 ones. I'm currently on 43 and
38 it is better plus all my plugins work. With some added features added,
39 I also got rid of a few addons, which helps all the way around.
40
41 If you are using 42, may want to test 43 out and see if it helps. Also
42 check into Mick's idea too. It does affect it too. May even be that
43 you are having both of these as problems.
44
45 Dale
46