From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Long boot time after kernel update
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2022 20:31:54
1 Am Sun, Jan 02, 2022 at 01:38:01PM -0600 schrieb Dale:
2 > Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
3 > > Am Mon, Dec 27, 2021 at 08:15:51AM -0600 schrieb Dale:
4 > >
5 > >> I don't recall seeing this mentioned but this may be part of the issue
6 > >> unless I'm missing something that rules this out.  Could it be a drive
7 > >> is a SMR drive?
8 > >
9 > > SMR may slow down drive response time and throughput, but it should never
10 > > generate I/O errors in the syslog. If resetting or swapping the SATA cables
11 > > does not help, then I’d suspect the drive going bad.
12
13 The original problem had already been solved (I was reading up on old mail
14 from the Christmas week, go figure).
15
16 > > A long selftest might be in order (smartctl -t long). smartctl -a shows
17 > > how long this will take approximately (it’s rather accurate).
18 > >
19 > > For my PC’s rust drive (1 TB WD Blue) it says:
20 > > Extended self-test routine
21 > > recommended polling time: ( 113) minutes.
24 > If it helps any, my 6Tb drive takes around 700 minutes.  My 8Tb drive
25 > takes around 1200 minutes.
26
27 Same for my 6 TB Reds in the NAS. But 1200 is a rather big increase. Did you
28 ever try this? Almost double for only one third more capacity.
29
30 I suspect that internally the drive can do the long selftest in parallel --
31 all platters at the same time. But when going from CMR to SMR, platter count
32 does not grow linearly with capacity. So the drive may have ⅓ more capacity,
33 but number of platters stayed the same.
34
35 > Yea, over two days.  O_O
36
37 Uhm, even without a calculator, I challange that. 1 hour is 60 minutes, so
38 10 hours = 600 minutes, making 1200 minutes a mere 20 hours. ;-)
39
40 > Dale
41 >
46 Grüße | Greetings | Qapla’
47 Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.
48
49 Keyboard not connected, press F1 to continue.