From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Seagate ST8000NM0065 PMR or SMR plus NAS SAS SATA question
Date: Sat, 23 May 2020 07:56:48
1 Michael wrote:
2 > On Saturday, 23 May 2020 00:31:48 BST Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >> On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 5:40 PM antlists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
4 >>> On 22/05/2020 19:23, Rich Freeman wrote:
5 >>>> A big problem with drive-managed SMR is that it basically has to
6 >>>> assume the OS is dumb, which means most writes are in-place with no
7 >>>> trims, assuming the drive even supports trim.
8 >>> I think the problem with the current WD Reds is, in part, that the ATA-4
9 >>> spec is required to support trim, but the ATA-3 spec is the current
10 >>> version. Whoops ...
11 >> Probably was thought up by the same genius who added the 3.3V reset
12 >> pin to the SATA standard.
13 > Is there a way to determine if a drive on sale is SMR *before* purchase? I
14 > assume after purchase it is a matter of filling up the drive with zeros and
15 > keeping an eye on it stalling for minutes at a time; or is there some hdparm/
16 > smartctl output to inform accordingly?
17
18
19 I google the model number with the terms smr pmr and then see what it
20 provides.  Generally, you can tell which it is BUT one never knows if
21 they change something.
22
23 What bothers me is the fact they don't disclose what a drive is.
24
25 Dale
26