From: Jean-Christophe Bach <jc.bach@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: webserver reccomendations
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2015 04:23:21
1 * Bill Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au> [28.06.2015. @05:45:37 +0800]:
2
3 > Hi all,
4 > over the years when I need a web-server I have just used Apache. I am
5 > in the process of consolidating my separate services VM's for various
6 > things into LXC containers and am looking for something a bit lighter if
7 > its worthwhile.
8 >
9 > I am currently using Apache for internal and external http/https static
10 > pages, webdav and radicale (dav/wsgi calendar) sometimes using vhosts.
11 >
12 > Is there something else much lighter weight than Apache for (each) of
13 > these tasks? - doesn't have to be the same application as I want to
14 > separate the tasks rather than have one huge complex Apache
15 > configuration serving an extremely light load.
16 >
17 > Nginx is an alternative for radicale (is it worth changing from one
18 > large application to one almost as heavy?) but what else can do wsgi/dav?
19 >
20 > BillK
21
22 Hi Bill,
23
24 I am "self-hosting" a lighttpd server with a cal/card dav sever: Baikal
25 [1]. I also added a web (js) interface for it, in case of I would need
26 it: CalDavZAP [2] and CardDavMATE [3] which were unified by InfCloud
27 [4].
28 I chosed lighttpd because Apache became to heavy and to complex to
29 admin for a simple personal server.
30
31 Hope it will help you,
32