From: Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT - finding rgb code of the background of an image
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 20:52:50
1 On Mon, Nov 12, 2007 at 02:17:32PM -0600, Michael Sullivan wrote:
2 > The background of the image looks green to me (0, 255, 0), but identify
3 > claims it's white. Is there a way I can know for sure without having to
4 > go through all the RGB codes? The convert created BMP's won't open in
5 > gimp....
6 >
7 I don't think identify is THAT good. :)
8
9 I am pretty sure the "background" part is an artifact of the identify
10 program, and not actually any information in the bmp file. AFAIK, the
11 Windows BMP file format is just that: bitmaps. It does not store
12 additional information such as the background color.
13
14 I think the problem is that you converted from a format (gif) that stores
15 information about backgrounds to one (bmp) that doesn't, and therefore
16 the information got lost.
17
18 If you try identify on the originals, you will probably pick up the
19 correct colors.
20
21 W
22 --
23 Willie W. Wong wwong@××××××××××××××.edu
24 408 Fine Hall, Department of Mathematics, Princeton University, Princeton
25 A mathematician's reputation rests on the number of bad proofs he has given.
26 --
27 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list