From: Nicolas Sebrecht <nicolas.s-dev@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Nicolas Sebrecht <nicolas.s-dev@×××××××.net>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Managing multiple Gentoo systems
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2011 20:42:42
1 On Sat, Jul 02, 2011 at 03:14:38PM -0700, Grant wrote:
2 >
3 > After a frustrating experience with a Linksys WRT54GL, I've decided to
4 > stick with Gentoo routers. This increases the number of Gentoo
5 > systems I'm responsible for and they're nearing double-digits. What
6 > can be done to make the management of multiple Gentoo systems easier?
7 > I think identical hardware in each system would help a lot but I'm not
8 > sure that's practical. I need to put together a bunch of new
9 > workstations and I'm thinking some sort of server/client arrangement
10 > with the only Gentoo install being on the server could be appropriate.
11
12 I maintain multiple Gentoo we mostly use as KVM hosts systems (and
13 coming embedded routers). As KVM hosts, some of them are very sensible.
14 Due to the contracts to our customers, I have to do with various update
15 strategies on top of various hardware.
16
17 I've set up a private Gentoo mirror in order to follow updates nicely
18 (all customers want to update slowly). Well, it's not a true mirror. To
19 be able to upgrade old systems, I do "private" releases of Gentoo
20 approximately once a month. A full mirror of all releases would be too
21 much data. So, I only fetch portage tree and packages from a list I
22 maintain manually (emerge sucks at that game, by the way). Data is
23 stored on a nilfs filesystem to improve snapshots size on disk.
26 Nicolas Sebrecht