From: gottlieb@×××.edu
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] where did lvm installation guide go?
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 21:20:09
1 On Thu, Aug 29 2013, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2
3 > As James said, the docs are being reorganized. However, I did a
4 > systemd+LVM installation (just because I was getting tired of not
5 > knowing what the fuss was all about), and (in my experience) there are
6 > almost no changes from the regular installation in the handbook.
7 >
8 > I put everything in LVM (/, /boot, everything).
9
10 I am not so ambitious. /+/boot+/usr one ext4 partition not on lvm
11
12 > From my notes, the only changes are:
13 >
14 >>From the livecd:
15 > 1. Use partitions, not whole disks (GRUB2 got confused when I tried to
16 > use whole disks).
17 > 2. Set the partition type as LVM (8e in fdisk).
18 > 3. Create the Physical Volume, the Volume Group, and the Logical
19 > Volumes as desired.
20 > 4. Continue the normal installation, just using /dev/vg0/lvolX (or
21 > whatever names you choose).
22
23 There is a little more (activating or something the LVs) especially if
24 you shutdown in the middle of the installation and resume it later.
25
26 > After the chroot and emerging the kernel package:
27 > 1. Se the LVM options in the kernel. Compile, install it.
28 > 2. Emerge systemd.
29 > 3. Emerge dracut (USE="device-mapper", DRACUT_MODULES="systemd lvm", at least).
30 > 4. Set add_dracutmodules="systemd" in /etc/dracut.conf.
31 > 5. Weirdly, set lvmconf="no" in /etc/dracut.conf. I didn't even
32 > touched /etc/lvm/lvm.conf, so I think leaving it out makes dracut to
33 > autoconfigure it. If I put lvmconf="yes", the boot hangs. Didn't
34 > investigated why.
35 > 6. Emerge GRUB2 (USE="device-mapper mount"); I don't know if GRUB
36 > works with LVM, but GRUB2 does, so I used that.
37 > 7. Set GRUB_PRELOAD_MODULES="lvm",
38 > GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd", in
39 > /etc/default/grub.
40 > 8. Generate initramfs, generate /boot/grub2/grub.cfg, install GRUB2
41 > with grub2-install.
42 > 9. Reboot. Everything works.
43 >
44 > GRUB2 handles LVM just fine, I believe, but my LVM setup was dead
45 > simple (the VG was just the only partition of all my disks).
46 > dracut+systemd takes care of everything else; I didn't even had to do
47 > something special in fstab, since I used labels.
48 >
49 > To extend/reduce your Logical Volumes you will need a livecd, or a
50 > more complex initramfs, though.
51 >
52 > Regards.
53
54 I have experience with LVM, but not systemd or dracut or initramfs
55
56 * both grub and grub2 support lvm
57 * Never did 2,3,4,5,7, or the initramfs part of 8
58
59 My goal is to have this system (an older laptop) setup like my current
60 laptop (grub2, openrc, root+/usr, etc). Then I will convert OLD to
61 systemd. Once I have done this and moved my work from CURRENT to OLD, I
62 will convert CURRENT to systemd and move back.
63
64 thanks to you and james for your helpful comments.
65
66 allan