From: "A. Khattri" <ajai@××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: mounting hd images with windows?
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 22:16:41
1 On Fri, 16 Sep 2005, Thomas Schweikle wrote:
2
3 > This is a bit of topic here, but maybe someone has a solution!
4 >
5 > I can mount dd produced image files (harddisk images) in FreeBSD or
6 > Linux using different commands:
7 >
8 > FreeBSD:
9 > # mdconfig -a -t vnode -f ${HOME}/vc.img -u 4
10 > # mount -t ntfs -o ro /dev/md4 /mnt/win_c
11 >
12 > Linux:
13 > # losetup /dev/loop0 ${HOME}/vc.img
14 > # mount -t ntfs -o ro /dev/loop0 /mnt/win_c
15 >
16 > or if one prefers:
17 > # mount -t ntfs -o ro,loop ${HOME}/vc.img /mnt/win_c
18 >
19 > afterwards I can access this mounted volume as if it where a real
20 > harddisk. Is there any way doing the same using Windows?
21
22 For free? I doubt it. Linux has had to evolve to read disk formats
23 produced on other OSes - Windoze has never had to. (Hell, Mac's can read
24 PC disks but Ive never seen a PC read a Mac disk out of the box).
25
26 There might be commercial software that does this (I seem to remember
27 something called MacDrive for reading Mac disks) or you might find a tool
28 in Cygwin that does what you want.
33 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list