From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Change profile
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 16:42:54
1 At Fri, 02 Jun 2006 00:29:10 +0100 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2
3 > On Fri, 2 Jun 2006 00:48:21 +0200, Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
4 >
5 >> > You'll need to add --update --deep to catch packages affected by the
6 >> > changed USE flags.
7 >>
8 >> no you have not:
9 >>
10 >> emerge -a --newuse world
11 >> >>> --newuse implies --update... adding --update to options.
12 >>
13 >> and I can't remember that this was different in the past.
14 >
15 > Yes it was. Adding --update pulled in extra packages, even though they
16 > were the same version as installed. This was somewhat counter-intuitive,
17 > so the new behaviour makes more sense. You should still need --deep
18 > though.
19
20 Which version of emerge/portage is being discussed? I am running
21 portage-2.0.54-r2. The man page for emerge suggests (but does not
22 state) that --update is still needed.
23
24 --update (-u)
25
26 Updates packages to the best version available, which may not
27 always be the highest version number due to masking for
28 testing and development. This will also update direct
29 dependencies which may not be what you want. In general, use
30 this option only in combination with the world or system
31 target.
32
33 I also don't see an explicit mention that --newuse implies --update
34
35 --newuse (-N)
36
37 Tells emerge to include installed packages where USE flags
38 have changed since compilation. An asterisk marks when a USE
39 flag has changed since the package was compiled.
40
41 Thanks in advance for the clarification and also a general thank you
42 for your high-quality contributions to the newsgroup.
43
44 allan
45 --
46 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list