From: Mark Kirkwood <markir@××××××××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CD-ROM Isn't In fstab - don't know how to add it
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 01:54:50
1 Lord Sauron wrote:
2 > I decided I needed major help with this one - in other words, a
3 > walk-through.
4 >
5 > I was working and shoved a CD into my laptop as I do every once in a
6 > while (not that often - I'm happy to use the network 99.99999999999%
7 > of the time).
8 >
9 > Well, I stuck it in, and there wasn't any automounter action that I
10 > could see, so I wisely (for me, at least) went to fstab to find this:
11 >
12 >> localhost ~ # cat /etc/fstab
13 >> /dev/hda1 /boot ext2 defaults 1 2
14 >> /dev/hda2 none swap sw 0 0
15 >> /dev/hda3 / ext3 defaults 0 1
16 >> none /proc proc defaults 0 0
17 >> none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
18 >> /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1 vfat noauto,async,user,exec 0 0
19 >
20 > My CD drive wasn't listed. Big surprise.
21 >
22 > To be more specific about the hardware I'm using, I'm using a CD
23 > RW/DVD-ROM drive in the docking station to my X40. Here's all the
24 > relevant entries from /dev that could help.
25 >
26 > Oops... tried "cat /dev/dvd..." didn't work too well. Started
27 > reading the *whole* contents of the CD. Gotta remember that next
28 > time...
29 >
30 > Well, now it complains that no medium is found. However, it looks
31 > like it's listed as /dev/hdc in addition to what I assume are aliases
32 > as /dev/dvd, /dev/cdrom, and /dev/cdrw.
33 >
34 > Sorry I can't be more precise, but I'd like some help with sticking
35 > this in fstab so that I can mount the disk and then use it. I'm so
36 > darn inexperienced with this.
37 >
38 > There isn't anything from /etc/mtab that could help, either:
39 >
40 >> localhost etc # cat mtab
41 >> /dev/hda3 / ext3 rw 0 0
42 >> proc /proc proc rw 0 0
43 >> sysfs /sys sysfs rw 0 0
44 >> udev /dev tmpfs rw,nosuid 0 0
45 >> devpts /dev/pts devpts rw 0 0
46 >> cachedir /lib/splash/cache tmpfs rw 0 0
47 >> /dev/hda1 /boot ext2 rw 0 0
48 >> none /dev/shm tmpfs rw 0 0
49 >> usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs rw,devmode=0664,devgid=85 0 0
50 >
51 > I'm flummoxed. I don't even know where to begin, since anything I can
52 > try and Google will most likely not be for my system. Any help or
53 > pointers?
56 A line in /etc/fstab like this:
57
58 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom auto noauto,ro 0 0
59
60 Should let access the cd/dvd:
61
62 (root) # mount /mnt/cdrom
63 (root) # ls /mnt/cdrom
64
65 If you want users other than root to be able to mount it change
66 'noauto,ro' to 'noauto,user,ro'.
67
68 Desktops like Gnome and Kde will probably automount the cd once the
69 fstab entry is there (hmmm - been a while since I used either of these,
70 but I thought one of other of them uses a device scan as opposed to
71 using fstab.... but anyway see if the above helps!).
72
73 If you want to do some reading then try:
74
75 $ man mount
76 $ man fstab
77
78 There are non-desktop related packages that will automount media (local
79 and network) - autofs comes to mind as the most well known to me - tho
80 submount might be good.
81
82 regards
83