From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Suspend to RAM caused crashes
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 12:55:19
1 Am Sonntag 21 August 2011, 11:27:55 schrieb Mick:
2 > Here's a strange one:
3 >
4 > Suspending a Pentium4 32bit machine used to work a treat. For years. Then
5 > around 9 months ago or so, I can't recall exactly, it started causing
6 > crashes. What happens is that the monitor will go to sleep and the disk
7 > will stop immediately, but the machine continues to run and run and run ...
10 so try different kernel versions. Start with 3.0.3 and then go down - one
11 kernel per release (not all those stable releases in between) should be
12 enough. Then, as soon as it starts working again, you can narrow it down.
13
14 Use vanilla kernels for this.
15
16 Second, enable wake on lan - if your machine hangs while suspending, try to
17 kick it back to life with a wol-packet.
18
19 Third point, there are some checks and self tests among the kernel debug
20 options related to suspending, enable them.
23 For me, 3.0.1 is the first kernel ever that made it possible for me to
24 suspend-to-ram (with fglrx even). Suspending is a bitch, breaking and
25 unbreaking on an irregular basis thanks to crappy bios'.
28 #163933