From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Firefox and kernel panics.
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 21:18:51
1 On Mon, 11 Jul 2011 10:17:28 -0400, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2
3 > > Gentoo devs don't mark software as stable, they mark ebuilds as
4 > > stable. This has no direct link to the usability of the software
5 > > itself.
9 > Nuh uh. From http://devmanual.gentoo.org/keywording/index.html,
10 >
11 > arch (x86, ppc-macos)
12 > Both the package version and the ebuild are widely tested, known to
13 > work and not have any serious issues on the indicated platform.
14
15 Yeah, I put that badly. The important point here is "and the ebuild".
16 The software could be as reliable as hell, but that does not mean the
17 ebuild has been sufficiently tested. arch means package and ebuild are
18 well tested, but that doesn't imply that ~arch means both are untested.
19 That's why software marked as stable by upstream doesn't always have an
20 ~arch keyword.
21
22 You've cut the context of my reply, but it was
23
24 > > No! It is not the latest. It's just what portage is offering you. The
25 > > link I sent you clearly (!?) stated that you need to be running the
26 > > latest 'Certified' driver revision 275.09.07 to get this fix. Just
27 > > because the Gentoo devs haven't marked it as stable does (to me) mean
28 > > that I should take their word for it.
29
30 If Nvidia say to use the later version because they know the current
31 arch version is broken, you should follow their advice and not ignore it
32 simply because of a keyword setting in the ebuild.
36 Neil Bothwick
37
38 A printer consists of three main parts: the case, the jammed paper tray
39 and the blinking red light.