From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: Mixer filesystem
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2008 01:58:16
1 * Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au> wrote:
2
3 > interesting, yes, but what's the point? (not saying it's useless, just
4 > that I missed something). What would I use it for?
5
6 For a better understanding I'd suggest a bit research on Plan9 ;-P
7
8 In Plan9 everything runs through filesystems (even more than
9 on *nix). Instead of large applications and dozens of frameworks
10 we have fileservers for many things, even the windowing system
11 is accessed via the filessystem. So filesystem trees (accessed
12 via the 9P protocol) are the universal IPC. This makes the whole
13 thing completely network transparent and platform agnostic.
14
15 The MixerFS is one of the puzzle pieces. It provides an easy to
16 use interface for applications which want to control mixers. So
17 (once the apps have been ported ;-P) there's no more dependency
18 to any platform specific stuff and the whole thing is immediately
19 network transparent.
20
21 One of the next steps is an audio io filesystem, which replaces
22 things like esd or jack.
23
24 I'm also currently moving out several things from mozilla to
25 their own fileservers.
28 cu
29 --
31 Enrico Weigelt == metux IT service - http://www.metux.de/
33 Please visit the OpenSource QM Taskforce:
34 http://wiki.metux.de/public/OpenSource_QM_Taskforce
35 Patches / Fixes for a lot dozens of packages in dozens of versions:
36 http://patches.metux.de/
38 --
39 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list