From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] bridge
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 17:16:14
1 Am 10.07.2011 16:50, schrieb Daniel Hilst Selli:
2 > Hi people, I'm using brctl to create bridges for some qemu guests...
3 >
4 > I create a br0 with brctl addbr br0
5 > the I attach my wireless card to it with brctl addif br0 eth1
6 >
7 > Then some times I get right ip with dhcpcd br0 (after doing 'ifconfig
8 > br0 promisc up')
9 > but some times I got an strange ip
10 > The questions are
11 > What the promisc means?
12 >
13 > I can't understand for really the bridge concepts .. I just know that
14 > you attach
15 > cards to it, but can't understand how it route things
16 >
17 > cheers
18
19 What kind of "strange" IP? Anything from the 169.254.* range?
20 Please look at [1]. That looks like it describes your problem.
21
22 Conceptionally, think of a bridge as a network switch. It retransmits
23 Ethernet packets on OSI layer two between different endpoints as
24 necessary just like a real switch would do.
25
26 [1]
27 http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/networking/bridge#Does_DHCP_work_over.2Fthrough_a_bridge.3F
28