From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New USE Flags, Emerge -e world --> Broken systems -- PLEASE HELP
Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 05:19:03
1 On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 11:29:47AM -0400, Timothy A. Holmes wrote
2
3 > If anyone can suggest a good set of minimal use flags, I would be most
4 > thankful
5
6 Here's mine. Note that some flags (mmx, sse, and sse2) are
7 cpu-specific. My machine is a general-purpose desktop.
8
9 USE="-* 3dnow X a52 aac alsa bzip2 cdr dga dio divx4linux dri dvd dvdr dvdread encode exif ffmpeg flac fortran gb gif gtk2 imlib jpeg maildir mikmod mime mmap mmx mng mp3 mpeg ncurses nptl nptlonly nsplugin offensive ogg opengl plotutils png posix quicktime readline sdl sharedmem slang sockets sse sse2 theora threads tiff truetype vcd vorbis win32codecs wmf xpm xv zlib"
10
11 In addition, here's my /etc/portage/package.use
12
13 # If you don't specify "motif" here or in USE, the xpdf ebuild only
14 # installs the libraries, but not the /usr/bin/xpdf executable!!!
15 app-text/xpdf motif
16 media-gfx/gimp doc
17 media-gfx/imagemagick doc
18 media-libs/win32codecs real
19 media-video/mplayer custom-cflags i8x0 real 3dnowext mmxext
20 net-misc/wget ssl
21 net-nntp/slrn uudeview
22 sys-libs/glibc userlocales
23 www-client/w3m -X -imlib
24
25 x11-base/xorg-x11 bitmap-fonts font-server truetype-fonts type1-fonts
26
27 # If it's going to be a rescue package, it better work standalone
28 # when libraries get broken.
29 sys-apps/busybox static
32 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
33 My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca