From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Router 3rd and 4th net interface problem
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 16:19:22
1 Hi,
2
3 On Mon, 2 Oct 2006 10:49:34 -0500
4 "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net> wrote:
5
6 > > > > > How should eth1 and eth2 be
7 > > > > > configured in /etc/conf.d/net ?
8 > > > > They should be configured as part of a bridge device (see the
9 > > > > bridging section of /etc/conf.d/net.example) and have the address
10 > > > > assigned (and DHCPD listing on) that bridge device.
11 > > > Except that this doesn't work on WLAN (MAC layer done by the WLAN
12 > > > adapter).
13 >
14 > eth1 and eth2 are both wired, no? How does 802.11a/b/g come into this?
15
16 Yeah, that's just me not reading carefully. But looking at the first
17 post by the OP, I thought that ath0 was meant to join eth1 and eth2.
18 See my other mail, I've just clarified this.
19
20 > > > But probably "proxy_arp" can help here. And subnet
21 > > > separation, of course. Just extending the netmask a bit and enabling
22 > > > proxy_arp would do the job. OTOH, it's also easy to configure the
23 > > > routes to the other subnets via DHCP. Just a matter of taste. In any
24 > > > case, it only works on IP layer.
25 >
26 > I must admit that I've never used proxy_arp, but all ARP traffic occurs at
27 > the ethernet layer, below the IP layer, so it doesn't make sense to me for
28 > an option/program so named to only work on IP traffic. ARP is also only
29 > used intra-subnet, so this entire section doesn't make much sense to me.
30
31 Well, for something like a bridge, it has to work inter-(physical-)
32 subnet. Of course ARP happens on top of the link layer, just as IP. But
33 ARP is a requirement for IP traffic. And by faking ARP answers for the
34 computer in the other subnet, a router can redirect IP traffic to
35 itself. It just claims all addresses in the other subnet. That's what
36 "proxy_arp" does. So when it in fact uses forwarding, it behaves
37 similar to a bridge w/ regard to that you don't need to configure all
38 the computers with a route to the other subnet.
39
40 > In *any* case, it's extremely unlikely that the OP is going to be carrying
41 > any significant amount of non-IP traffic. I feel that is an extraordinary
42 > enough condition to be mentioned.
43
44 Agreed.
45