From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Intel Atom: architecture, distcc, crossdev and compile flags
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 01:41:40
1 On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 09:20:55PM +0100, Florian Philipp wrote:
2
3 > > * From my observations, the benefit of 64 bit over 32 is much smaller for an
4 > > Atom than it is for my Core2. Am I right to assume thus that the Atom
5 > > architecture doesn’t have much to offer to 64 bit (such as extra registers)?
6 > > I’m not talking about memory here, since it’s limited to 2 GB in any case.
9 > It has the same set of registers as your Core2.
10
11 Incidentally, when I initially set up the netbook, the output of
12 gcc -march=native -E -v - </dev/null 2>&1 | sed -n 's/.* -v - //p'
13 (which floated around the ML in the past) implied core2, IIRC.
14
15 > It's just that the Atom micro-architecture is terrible with regard to
16 > 64bit. That's just about the only reason that x32 was invented (and
17 > now that I've said it, I'm just waiting for the flamewar about it).
18
19 Terrible in what way? Inadequate memory throughput? I didn't know x32,
20 but from what I've read in the last few minutes it sounds intriguing.
21
22 > > So is it possible to mix architectures in this way at all with distcc?
23 > > I also have crossdev for i686 installed, which even shares files with the
24 > > system’s normal multilib gcc. I find that odd.
25 >
26 > I don't think you can mix x86_32 and x64 easily but I've never tried.
27 > Did you try adding a CFLAGS="-m32"? From comparing `gcc -Q --help=target
28 > -march=xxx` they should be compatible.
29
30 Not yet, putting in on todo, as it would involve building, running,
31 testing (or reading up on it :-p ).
32
33 > > I sped up the installation process for 32 bit by using a chroot on the big
34 > > machine, which worked nicely. But it’s not a long-term solution, b/c it
35 > > uses up too much disk space on the host.
36 >
37 > I do the same using NFS, bind mounts and tmpfs. What do you mean by disk
38 > space?
39
40 That I don't have much space left on the host machine for the entire
41 chroot. I bind-mount distfiles and portage, but I'm still running low
42 on gigabytes.
43 I was thinking of NFS quite early, but a friend said it would perform
44 not nicely. Also, with all my cables currently occupied, the two are
45 connected over a slow WiFi router. It's one of the rare cases in which
46 compressing distcc traffic increases performance. :) The netbook has
47 gigabit ethernet, though. Thank $DEITY for compressed tar pipes over
48 SSH. I wonder what Windows people would do in such a situation. >:-]
49
50 > If you can use common CFLAGS, you could try installing binary
51 > packages from your build host on your netbook (use quickpkg and friends).
52
53 Which brings me back to the disk space problem. Right now the 32 bit
54 chroot is a direct mirror, which is rsynced to and fro when the netbook
55 runs in 64 bit. Once I have a cable available I think I'll go with NFS.
56
57 > > […] Can you name a Java benchmark to measure CPU performance?
58 >
59 > How about something from this site:
60 > http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/
61
62 Will have a look-see.
63 >
64 > > * The last thing I’m going to set up is filesystem encryption, at least for ~.
65 > > I already know/think that AES would be the best choice due to limited CPU
66 > > power, but what else is there to heed besides key size?
67 >
68 > Nothing, you're good. Hash and key chaining method have negligible
69 > impact. If you stick with an x86_32 userspace I suggest at least using
70 > an x64 kernel so you can use of CRYPTO_AES_X86_64.
71
72 That's an interesting idea. If I had a 32 bit userland, I would have to
73 build new kernels on my big 64 laptop then, right? I don’t suppose I
74 can simply mix chosts, such that I would have a multilib x86_64
75 gcc/binutils/glibc, but i686 everything else.
76
77 I haven't done any comparisons of 32/64 crypto yet, I'm just reading
78 docs on Luks (never used it before). Big stuff (videos, music) won't be
79 encrypted anyway, just the sensitive data like mail, documents,
80 passwords and personal photos. So the requirements won't be high.
81 However I might expand it to /, though that would involve a more
82 complicated boot process (I never needed initrds except for bootsplash).
83
84 On a sidenote, While I was cleaning up unread mails in the ML, I just
85 found your interesting frontswap/zcache trick.
86
87 I wonder how many years I'd have to use the device to get back the time
88 from improved performance that I spent setting it up in the first place.
89 :-D
90
91 > > * What other small benchmarks for CPU and memory can you recommend?
92 > > […]
93 >
94 > How about trying some browser benchmarks. […]
95
96 I could also use those to compare binary and source firefox (which is
97 compiling in the chroot right now).
98
99 > There is also a Qt render benchmark
100 > http://code.google.com/p/qtperf/
101 > Check out app-admin/eselect-qtgraphicssystem and see how they compare in
102 > appearance and numbers.
103
104 Nice idea, since I'm a general Qt fanboy.
105
106 So thanks a lot for the info so far, I'll try to digest it all tomorrow.
107 Good night for now. *yaaaaawn*
108 --
109 Gruß | Greetings | Qapla’
110 Please do not share anything from, with or about me with any Facebook service.
111
112 Emacs is a great operating system, which only lacks a good editor.