From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] conflict with same package, same USE
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2017 14:40:09
1 On Fri, Jun 2, 2017 at 9:17 AM, Sam Jorna <wraeth@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 02/06/17 23:09, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >> The stage3 make.conf shouldn't include this. Now, if you copied your
4 >> make.conf from some other source like a LiveCD then that could explain
5 >> where it came from. The flag was actually invented mainly for things
6 >> like LiveCDs, and these are all built using USE=bindist (we couldn't
7 >> legally distribute them otherwise).
8 >
9 > The stage3 make.conf does include USE=bindist by default, as it includes
10 > packages affected by this flag (specifically openssh and openssl). It's
11 > required, as I understand, because the stage3 does distribute binaries
12 > of these packages, thus must have the patent-encumbered parts disabled.
15 Interesting. It looks like we do set that in make.conf by default now
16 - that might be a change from the last time I did an install as I
17 didn't have to remove this in the past.
18
19 There is no legal requirement to set bindist in the make.conf
20 installed by the stage3.
21
22 There absolutely is a legal requirement to set bindist in the
23 make.conf used to BUILD the stage3. The two do not need to be the
24 same.
27 Rich