From: Bill Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] WM that does not require policykit, consolekit, and gudev
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 05:25:34
1 On Tue, 2012-09-11 at 00:20 +0100, Jorge Almeida wrote:
2 > On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 10:19 PM, Chris Stankevitz
3 > <chrisstankevitz@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > >
5 > > 3. Select another WM that is more "lightweight" and doesn't require
6 > > these USE flags.
7 > >
8 > > I'm leaning towards (3).
9 > >
10 > > Can you recommend a WM that will not require me to enable gudev,
11 > > policykit, and consolekit?
12 > >
13 > I think openbox doesn't require any of that crap. I'm sure openbox is an
14 > excellent WM. If you're a keyboard person, it's easily customizable.
15 >
16 > Jorge Almeida
19 LXDE is based on openbox.
20
21 I am using LXDE on a new install - excellent. I have also converted
22 three other systems from gnome. Vastly increased productivity, no more
23 crashes, much faster (esp on older hardware), and just plain nicer to
24 use.
25
26 When I get time I'll have to look into removing as much of gnome as
27 possible ... are there any guides on how to do this?
28
29 BillK