From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Laptop internal speakers no longer working after recent updates
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 11:30:35
1 On Monday, 30 August 2021 11:30:38 BST Alexander Puchmayr wrote:
2 > Hi there,
3 >
4 > I have a weird problem on my Lenovo P14s laptop. Before I applied a world
5 > upgrade (based on August 22 state portage), the internal speaker of the
6 > laptop worked fine, but now its all silent, although all mixer levels are
7 > 100% and no channel is muted.
8
9 There was a recent move to pipewire which could have jumbled audio devices
10 around for you - but I am not familiar with how pipewire works, or why it
11 would have caused this problem.
12
13 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/PipeWire
14
15 In my use case the capture device (on board mic) is now always enabled upon a
16 reboot and I have to manually disable it each time, because my selection is
17 not being stored.
18
19 NOTE: I don't use pulseaudio on this system, just alsa and now it is alsa plus
20 pipewire. I haven't yet looked how to configure it.
21
22 $ ps axf | grep pipe
23 19015 pts/5 S+ 0:00 \_ /bin/grep -E --colour=auto --color=auto
24 pipe
25 4334 ? Sl 0:05 /usr/bin/pipewire
26 4349 ? Sl 0:00 \_ /usr/bin/pipewire-media-session
27 4350 ? Sl 0:00 \_ /usr/bin/pipewire -c pipewire-pulse.conf
30 > Observed facts:
31 > * Connecting a HDMI tv-set produces sound over the tv-set properly
32 > * Booting Win10: Internal speakers working fine --> no hw issue
33 > * Connecting headphone via audio jack under linux - no sound.
34 > * Reverting to backup makes sound work again --> config/sw problem
35 > introduced by update
36 > * In plasma's system settings/audio tray, the Speaker output device is not
37 > shown -- only 3xHDMI (The analog speaker seems to have gone)
38 >
39 > The kernel is exactly the same as before the upgrade, didn't recompile it
40 > (sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-5.12.0) --> no kernel issue
41
42 From the above observations it seems your default audio card has been swapped
43 from analogue to HDMI. This seems to be the default for many laptops.
44
45 [snip...]
46
47 > Any further ideas?
48 >
49 > Thanks, Alex
50
51 You can try swapping them around by adding in /etc/asound.conf appropriate
52 entries; e.g. this is what I have in mine:
53
54 defaults.pcm.card 1
55 defaults.pcm.device 0
56 defaults.ctl.card 1
57
58 Where in my case card 1, device 0, is the analogue audio device "HDA-Intel -
59 HD-Audio Generic":
60
61 $ aplay -l
62 **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
63 card 0: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 3: Generic Digital [Generic Digital]
64 Subdevices: 1/1
65 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
66 card 1: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 0: CX20757 Analog [CX20757 Analog]
67 Subdevices: 1/1
68 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
71 Alternatively, take a look at this method of controlling the order in which
72 audio modules are loaded:
73
74 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/ALSA#Laptops_with_HDMI_audio_output